On the 1/9/2017 I was delivered the shock news that I was being retrenched. 4 months compensation was what I had in an Economic environment that is worse than stagnating to find a means to make or maintain a living. As a Father of 4 boys, and sole bread winner the pressure was mounting. I was tired, burnt out, and traumatized by the suddenness of it all.
The 1st 2 weeks was a blur of registering with every employment agency I could find, updating linked in info and CV’s. Obtaining references and just trying to make sense of it all.
The Sunday of 3/9 we sat the kids down and tried our best to explain what had happened.
Why Dad? Were you fired Dad? What you going to do dad? followed by have you found a job yet dad every day after school from that day on.
The Hope before us was a Family Holiday long weekend and September School holidays. We must choose to relax and enjoy this time off, I explained to the family. Trying hard to convince my emotions to Be Still and Rest.
An Early interview sparked some hope but as it would be, I faltered at 1 question:
Why was I retrenched? I was still trying to figure out this answer?
A returned email sparked hope again? Did we discuss Salary? I replied with previous earnings and they responded that I was too expensive! I also was Part qualified and they could hire someone fully qualified for that price!
BOOM! and Nothing since not a Agent has called with an opportunity that led to an interview or meeting.
But the Upside was:
- I was able to attend every extramural activity my Kids participated in:Dramas Sport, Prize Givings, Parent Evenings, Teacher Interviews
- I had my first uninterrupted Family Holiday in 13 years. No deadlines requiring my attention, No panicked phone calls from GMs, No customers complaints.
- I had time to consider the value of my time vs the price I had sold it for!
- I could attend to my Personal finance and To Do list which seemed to always play second fiddle to Work.
- I could play music write songs and collaborate on online social networks such as FAWM and 50/90
- I could invest time in my dream CD a souvenir project of Songs of hope called Prayer letters I have written for my children, nieces, nephews and friends.
- I could consider business opportunities Ideas and family business opportunities I had always been too busy for.
- I could go on coffee dates with my wife and kids sharing milkshakes and toasted sandwiches and talk about whatever was on our minds.
- I could play squash and do physical work.
- I could lend my time to help those in need. Discover the endless expressions of love in practical help.
Being unemployed is hard work. Yes I have run Gardening services, Repaired roofs, painted, Tiled, transported goods and livestock, attempted carpentry, Even done a bit of Tax consulting. And 3 months have come and Gone……… and everyday I have a new opportunity to wake up, thank the Lord for His Goodness and Mercy and Put my hand to whatever He gives me to do!
Yes Opportunity abounds!
Today I don’t know exactly what will come my way. But I’ve learn’t to Relax into that!
Live Life a moment at a time.
And Life’s ours for the Living
God’s gifts ours for the Giving
His Life is ours
For the Livin’
Life is a party- and parties never last
But while friends are near you be full of cheer
Be sure to have blast- invest your love in people
it’s risk to take, take a chance
And while the music is playing
Let’s take time to dance
Thank you to all for your gifts of Love and you Love expressed to me and my family.
I am not sure what the future holds, but I am confident of this that He who has begun a Good work in and Through me will be faithful to complete it!
The journey holds much HOPE. After all it began with a GOD who is GOOD
Chorus of Kyle’s song (My 4th Son)
Let the Lord do what’s pleasing in his sight
Only he knows what’s beautiful and right
He’s the author of our Dreams
The provider of our means
May your life be something pleasing in His Sight?